Skip to main content

XFL: More good than bad

Now that the first week of XFL play is over, we can evaluate.

I saw a lot of good things, but I also saw some things that I would change. But that doesn't mean it's bad. It just means that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.

BattleHawk uniforms get good grade.
Here's a rundown, from my perspective.

THE GOOD: Overall, I enjoyed it. The product was exciting. It had big plays. The league has innovation in both the playbook and the rule book. It has--for crying out loud--a three-point try after a touchdown if you choose to go for it. 

I like how they described the new league on the XFL website: "We’re evolving things just a bit. Less stall, more ball is how we describe it: a fast-paced game with fewer play stoppages." As a fan, I'm not going anywhere.  I'll stick with a league that has that kind of philosophy.

THE BAD - It does not have--and may never have--a level of fan interest anywhere close to that of the long-established NFL, but then, we knew that going in. The good thing about the XFL is that it doesn't appear it is trying to be the NFL, choosing instead to be it's own man. I mean, it's own league.  And you've got to respect that.

Another drawback is that we know that practically every player on the field would bolt to the NFL if he were given half of a chance. Virtually no one seems to be looking at the XFL as a place to play out an entire career.

But for some, the XFL is the ceiling, and that's not bad. There will always be plenty of XFL guys playing their hearts out, knowing that the NFL notices good performances.  For those who come to accept the fact that the larger league may never come calling, well, they just might stick with their team and their newfound camaraderie, and play with pride and excellence over the long haul.

And I'll tune in for that as well.

THE UGLY - Some of the uniforms--oh my--where do I begin?  Let's start at the top.  I say the DC Defenders have the best threads in the league. The red and white with some lighting bolt action gets an A for it's simplicity. The St. Louis BattleHawks get an A-minus, and the Houston Roughnecks get a B-plus.  I like what all three of those teams are sporting on the field.  Everyone else's colors are just so-so, or--in the case of of the Los Angeles Wildcats and the Seattle Dragons--literally hard for me to watch. Some color schemes don't go together. You may love what the Dragons and the Wildcats look like, because the matter is entirely subjective. What does not work for me just might for you.

THE QUESTIONABLE - Team mascots were selected wisely, for the most part.  I'm good with Defenders, Renegades, Guardians, and BattleHawks.  I'm okay with Vipers and Wildcats.  I'm not quite okay with Roughnecks (unless we're going in to a seedy establishment); nor am I okay with Dragons (because it's not The Lord of the Rings).  But lest you say I'm too harsh, I can live with any of the names.  I kind of half-way expected to have nicknames such as Smashers, Badgers, and Bruisers.  I would have been cool with that.

And finally, I question some of the geography.  I'm sure the league and the owners selected the sites for each franchise based upon the best information they had and the best opportunities available, but for me--a person on the outside looking in--I would think it would have been good to go in to an area that does not have NFL football.  Locating the BattleHawks in St. Louis, for instance, made very good sense to me.

But some other choices raise question marks. The Wildcats could have San Diego all to themselves, but they're in Los Angeles instead.  The Seattle Dragons could have been located in Portland, or maybe in Oakland. I would have put the Renegades in San Antonio instead of in Dallas; and I would have considered having the Vipers in Orlando instead of Tampa Bay.

But I'll give the XFL the benefit of the doubt when it comes to business decisions and geographic placement. They're off to a good start, and I'm looking forward to the weekend.
__________

David Wilson has written two books: Growing Up With Pro Football, and Learning Every Day. Ordering info is at: https://amazon.com/author/dwilsonnotes



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The coronavirus scare ended what appeared to be a very promising XFL 2020 season but the league should thrive in 2021. One of the great things about the XFL is in it's timing. Games are played in the spring, after the Super Bowl and before summer. Defender linebacker Jonathan Celestin signals fourth down in a March 8 home game. Because it is a slow time in the sports calendar (beginning before March Madness and before Major League Baseball's opening day) it fills a real void and meets a real need. I was hooked for a lot of reasons, but the big question is, what did the XFL have that really resonated with you? Fans on Twitter readily share their views. Jones143 is a true fan that went all out purchasing XFL gear, and he said he likes the newness of the game: "New rules, the kickoff, and extra points. I like the team jerseys, logos, and the look.  It's just quick and fun. You don't get bored." Others Tweeted similar sentiments:

A biblical perspective on waiting

“Now when the people saw that Moses delayed coming down from the mountain, the people gathered together to Aaron, and said to him, ‘Come, make us gods that shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man who brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we do not know what has become of him.’” –Exodus 32:1 (New King James Version) Do you remember the biblical story of how the people of Israel grew tired of waiting when Moses was atop Mount Sinai receiving the Ten Commandments? We could learn a lot from how they dealt with such an experience, because they provided a perfect example of exactly what not to do .    Israel’s time of waiting evolved into something very troubling. It became a time of delay, a time of impatience, a time of worry and fear, a time of panic, a time of acting in ignorance, a time of being gullible, and a time of looking to leaders instead of to God Himself. As soon as “Moses delayed coming down from the mountain,” the people began handling

Learning from one of the best

WRITING Note:  In the spring of 1981 I first read the book On Writing Well by William Zinsser.  Since that time, I got a new copy each time a new edition came out and read it again.  It is the best I can recommend on communicating effectively in writing. I have written about Zinsser on several occasions, and the following piece was printed in the Jefferson City News Tribune on March 18, 2012: by David Wilson Last week in this space we discussed the importance of students having opportunities to learn to write well.  By practicing writing, students develop a skill essential for success and can enhance their learning in any subject area. William Zinsser is a lifelong journalist and nonfiction writer who has much to say along these lines. His classic book On Writing Well has been through multiple editions and sold more than a million copies. It is a cherished favorite, not just for writers, but for educators, for students, for those in business, and for anyone who